2017 Limited Release Pinot Noir, Los Carneros


2017 PINOT NOIR
Limited Release
Los Carneros
$55.00  |  Club Price $44.00
Sold Out
Back Ordered
Winery Only

TASTING NOTES
This vintage draws on two distinct vineyard sources which complement each other superbly: Artesas Estate Vineyard (Los Carneros, Napa Valley) and the Sangiacomo Vineyard (Los Carneros, Sonoma). A wine from these two distinct sources is very unique, creating a bright and intricate wine, very distinctive and true to its unique AVA. Furthermore, fermenting a percentage of the wine in new french oak puncheons, as well as whole cluster grapes, added complexity and structure, enhancing texture of this wine. This unique Pinot Noir displays intense aromas of red fruit (strawberry, cherry and rhubarb), layered with white pepper and vanilla bean. On the palate, flavors of raspberry, cherry, blueberry and a touch caramel. The oak is beautifully integrated and the wine displays a long, elegant finish.
1,030 cases produced


Download Tech Sheet
WINEMAKING NOTES
Varietal Composition: 100% Pinot Noir
Technical Data: ALC: 14.1% by vol.; TA: 5.9 G/L; pH: 3.68
Cooperage: 100% Fermented in Oak (40% New)

The grapes were hand harvested at night, over the month of September, as each block achieved perfect ripeness. Once at the winery, all grapes were hand sorted; 25% of the grapes were whole cluster fermented, a technique used to add texture and structure to the final wine. The remaining 75% were destemmed. All the grapes were cold-soaked for four days, in order to gently extract color and flavor from the delicate skinned Pinot Noir. Fermenting most of the wine in open-top fermenters, Winemaker Ana Diogo-Draper also fermented about 25% of the juice in French puncheon barrels. During fermentation, which lasted on average 21 days, all components underwent three daily punchdowns while fermenting. The wine was then placed in a combination of new and seasoned French oak barrels (40% new barrels and 60% seasoned) for 9 months of aging. The wine components were then blended, and the wine went back to neutral barrels for another 3 months, to add another layer of complexity.
VINEYARD NOTES
The majority of the fruit sourced to make this years vintage is from the higher elevation blocks from our Estate Vineyard. Here the lightly textured silt loam soils naturally regulate vine vigor and as a result Pinot Noir from these blocks displays immense concentration and fruit intensity. The remaining portion of the blend was sourced from the highly regarded Sangiacomo Vineyard in Sonoma Carneros, where clay/loam soils mixed with rocks and shale, produce an elegant and bright Pinot Noir.
VINTAGE NOTES
The 2017 vintage saw generous winter rains that refreshed ground water supplies and led to a cool, mild spring which prepared the vineyards for the summertime heat. Harvest began for Artesa on August 11 and moved quickly. A long, even summer ripening season ended with high temperatures in excess of 100 degrees for five days in early August. As a result harvest was completed for us by late September, weeks ahead of usual, and before the devastating fires that broke out on October 8. The 2017 wines show ripe, concentrated flavors and excellent balance.

Your Cart

  • Your Cart is Empty

Sign In



Forgot your password? Click here.

New Customer